"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Journey into Love


I am a fan of collecting quotes from all sorts of sources with which I have been helped in shaping my understanding of words we often toss around but often with no real meaning attached.

Emily Bronte said; “Bliss like thine is bought by years, dark with torment and with tears”.

If I could characterize the month of October, it would be like this > it was a month of tears; of sorrow and joy, a month of having my eyes opened in greater degree to people around me. It’s been a month of bliss down in my soul spilling out at times good and times inconvenient, spilling out in words and in tears, overflowing from a heart too full to contain either the sorrow or the joy of love.

It was a month of changes; most unexpected, some difficult, some grand but all good.

Things mourned were things that God alone knows the worth right now, but I will reap the rewards in days and years to come. God however, reaps the reward now as there is greater love in my heart, mostly for Him but also to share with the people who are in my life and will be in my life in days and years ahead.

It’s nothing I haven’t known and understood for years, but we all know the value of having our ‘head’ knowledge drop those 18” down into our heart where real changes are made.

Love is to be shared, given out freely, no strings attached, no expectations, just joyfully given. Not given because they deserve it or earned it; not given because I love them or because they love me. Love is to be given, with joy and gratefulness and a full heart because I have been loved with joy and from a heart that is love. It has been given to me with no expectations, given not because I earned it or deserve it, just loved because the One loving me IS Love and He shares it freely and He shares it fully; no matter when, no matter what, no matter . . . . just given.

Mother Teresa said, “You love until there is pain, you love through the pain until all that remains is love”. We who love our own comfort will be uncomfortable with this saying of hers, but it is what real love is about, giving and doing for others at our own expense, if we 'feel' it or not.

William Shakespeare said in Sonnet 116, “Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no, it is an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken. It is the star to every wand’ring bark, whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.”

“Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.” Think on these quotes and you will find that so much of what the world calls love, is not! In a world that turns away and runs at the first sign of personal pain, a world which is characterized by ‘if it doesn’t feel good don’t do it, walk away, live for yourself and do what pleases you.’ A world that falls into and out of love till it mocks the very word and meaning of love. It’s a world that has no idea what the real meaning of love is.

As God the Father, Jesus the Son and Holy Spirit have all loved one another for forever, that is how I will love. As I allow the Triune God to love me in all Their fullness, this is how I will be changed to love. 

Love is what characterizes God, love is what will characterize me.

I am my Father’s daughter.

One last quote by C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves: “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket; safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation.”
The only place outside of heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is . . . . Hell.”

I would suggest a great many people are living in their own personal 'hell' far removed from love, either by their own choosing to protect themselves from further hurt or from the actions of others against them. That is a very painful place to be. But it doesn't have to end there because John 3:16 gives us the hope and the promise that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him will have eternal life." A life lived forever in the presence of LOVE, forever and ever and ever.

Here’s to this Journey into love that we are on. Each journey follows a different path but every journey, if we follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, will lead us to the heart of God the Father.
I bless you in this most important journey of your life.

. . . . Girl on her own Journey of learning to be loved and learning to love.
As the Father is, so shall I be!


No comments:

Post a Comment