"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Good Soil or ????

I was reading the book of Luke this morning and in chapter 8 it talks about the different soils the seed can fall onto.

I always thought I was the 'good' soil because I heard the word and responded with acceptance, then followed on to what I believed was good fruit, but today I'm thinking that may not be the cut-and-dried case as I once thought it was.

Let me explain, but first here is the parable:

Luke 8:12 "Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved. 


NOPE that wasn't me *whew* and serves as the basis for the above belief.

However . . . .

Luke 8:13 "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy and these have no firm root, they believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

 Luke 8:14 "The seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life and bring no fruit to maturity.

Luke 8:15 "But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance" What stuck me this morning were the results of the different soils and I realized I have 'fruit' or the lack thereof from the rocky soil, the thorny soil and some from the good soil.

The tell-tale factors are thus ~ I have had times of temptation over the years when I've fallen away. 

I have had times when I've been choked by worries which only served to bring doubt and unbelief into my life and ill health has at times been the result. It has also resulted in conflict with family and friends and just plainly not done me any good at all. 

Although I cannot say I've had to worry about 'riches' and the stumbling that can cause our faith, I can see where the lack of riches has had a deleterious affect. 

And, let's not forget the pleasures this world can offer. Not saying pleasurable things are wrong, but when they are our primary priority, to have or find pleasure above all else, when it's not wise or has the potential of taking us down a road which leads to outright sin, well that robs us of the growth and fruit that seed could have produced if we had kept on without being sidetracked.

Click to show "Pomegranate" result 18Last but not least, there are some areas of my life where the seed has produced good fruit, so I'm grateful for that. I can see areas where I have patiently persevered and see the good fruit from that. No, not as much as I'd like, but it's still there.

I want to encourage us all to set God's plan for our lives as our top priority, rather than temptations which not only give a moment of fleeting pleasure, but often result in a longer term sorrow. 

I want to encourage us all to  hold fast the seed which was planted and with patient perseverance find our reward in seeing good fruit for our efforts and patience.

Blessings to you on your own journey with God. May the seed that's been planted in your life be planted in the good soil of patient perseverance.

Girl on her own Journey of sewing seed and reaping fruit!













No comments:

Post a Comment