"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Friday, January 27, 2012

A Very Personal God

I just read Psalm 139 as per the 40 day challenge I'm doing at church and this stood out to me . . .
Vs. 5 ". . . and laid Your hand upon me"
Vs. 10 "even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me".

When god created the earth, stars, waters of the deep, He SAID and it was created, but Psalm 139 tells me that when it comes to our relationship with Him, it is vastly personal and He touches us with His hand!
He leads us with His hand!
He is a very personal God who talks with us, guides us, never ever leaves us (vs 7-9; 15-16) and has compassion for us. He LOVES us with an everlasting love!


No matter where we find ourselves, whatever circumstances come against us, God is there, He sees, He knows; vs. 4 "even before there is a word on my tongue, behold O Lord, You know it all".

This God is a wonderful God who has never left us after He created us and will never leave us. He came looking for Adam and Eve in the garden; Gen 3:9 "Then the Lord God called to the man and said to him, 'Where are you?'. He comes looking for us too and He wants relationship with us, He wants our companionship, He wants to spend time with us.

I think of all the gods man has created and here is the difference . . . man has created something out of wood, ivory, bronze, gold (you name it) and worships the impersonal, non-communicative object, whereas God created MAN and is very personal (just read Psalm 139) and He communicates with us. And, this is the thing that makes me chuckle at the futility of it all, man creates his gods out of things God created in the first place!

We are such silly creatures!!

Years ago man worshipped the sun, the moon and stars. Today man worships fame, reputation, other people, money and possessions. Some religions even worship dead people by giving them the title Saint with a capital "S". Man even places the worth of animals above the worth of humanity!

We reverence our own selves, doing our own thing, having our own space which we are careful to protect. We worship the hobbies that waste our time, having that perfect lawn; slaves to the grass God created.

We are slaves to our children in giving in to all their demands for the latest and greatest, slaves to shopping for the latest toy, slaves to what others think of us and slaves to work; we just call ourselves workaholics and somehow manage to make it sound like we are something great because we give so much time and attention to make that business something to be respected in the business world.

None of these things is bad in it's own, we make it that way by giving it too much of our attention and thereby neglecting the things that are more worthy of our time.

I wonder why? I figure it's because we find our own self-worth in producing a beautifully put together home, that perfect lawn and gardens for all to see and that successful business.
But our relationships with God and others are woefully neglected, to our shame and to our own detriment because our self-worth is only found in relationship with God.

So, rather than lifting our self-worth up, we've brought ourselves low by this neglect.

The more I spend time developing my relationship with God, the more I see it as the ultimate relationship that gives life to me and every other relationship I have. It's the relationship that gives ultimate, lasting satisfaction and gives my whole life meaning.

Apart from that I flounder through life.

I pray a blessing on you in your own journey of building that most vital relationship with the God who created YOU. It's the one relationship you will ever have that causes all other relationships to deepen and the only one that makes sense in this crazy world.

Blessings from this Girl on her own Journey of Life


No comments:

Post a Comment