"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Outward Life . . . .

Last evening I attended a 50th birthday party of a friend. Her children planned the event and it went off without a hitch. It was a wonderful thing to see how much effort her children put into this party to show their Mom how much she meant to them.

What their actions did was to show honour and give glory to her, which is a good reputation. They highly esteemed her publicly.

So, as a Christian, does my life bring honour and glory to my Father? Do I highly esteem Him as publicly as those children did their Mother last night? Or do I live my life in my own safe little circle and stay quiet when I'm out in public?

Those children last night didn't know everyone who was at the party, but that didn't stop them from showing everyone their love.

God is so much more a Father, perfect in every way, in ways that we can ever be as earthly parents, so why is it so challenging to show the world how much I love God by my every action?

Have I conformed so much to the worlds standard that I've not noticed how the little actions of my life have compromised my Christ-following life into one of insignificance and mediocrity?

How do I daily live as a Christ follower? How do I show the world how much I love Him, or more important how much He loves me??

Living Loved is the thing that will change the lives of people living in dark hopelessness, yet I'm not shouting it out in the marketplace. Why is that?

It's something I've been thinking about and have come up with a few answers for myself. It's something each of us as Christ followers have to ponder and deal with on our own as each ones list will be an individual list.

I know I was affected by the open display of love those kids had for their Mom and it prompted this question which I've just shared with you.

Blessings to you as you follow Christ, not only in the big things, but in the daily grind of life in an imperfect world. I believe as we choose to follow Christ in all the little things, the daily grind will become less grinding and more full of peace and joy.
Journey Girl
P.S. here is a list of the little things that steal our peace and joy:
  • telling little white lies - still lying no matter how we justify it
  • being proud and haughty - bet we can all think of those times when pride rises up in us
  • getting angry and offended when someone does something that hurts us - cutting us off in traffic, cutting in line ahead of us
  • not being honest
  • not living an authentic life - commonly called being two-faced
  • being selfish - thinking more of myself than those around me who need something I CAN give or do for them
  • not phoning someone when prompted (or writing an email note etc.)
  • not doing those little acts of kindness when we think of them

I'm sure you can think of some things, but I've run out of time to think of more right now, perhaps I shall continue the list as they occur in my own life . . . . J.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment