"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Words & Their Original Greek Meanings

After writing that last blog I decided to post the words and original Greek meanings for each of the definitions of what Love is. To write one blog for each of them would burden you with too many posts to read and me with having to expose myself (again & again) and my sin in how poorly I love others. I apologize for the repetitive nature of these posts, but the more I learn the more I know I have still more to learn!


I think . . . . I get it . . . . *sigh*


When I read these definitions, it is so clearly true (for me anyway) when Larry Crabb says in his book 66 Love Letters, that our biggest problem isn’t how badly I ‘feel’ it’s how poorly I love others. He goes on to say, “Your failure to love Me (God speaking here) above all else and to love others at any cost to yourself defines your un-holiness. When you recognize your un-holiness and own it without excuse, your ears will be opened to hear My words of comfort and hope. And those words will set you on the narrow road to relating with holy love. There is no other kind.”


As I set myself out to learn how to love God’s way, I’m discovering just how narrow that road is. By this I mean it’s never about ME. Self has no play in this at all except to deny my ‘self’, hence the narrow and steepness of the road, and respond as Christ would, God’s way.


When God says, “your ears will be opened to hear My words of comfort and hope” it puts me in mind of Isaiah 2:12: For the LORD of hosts will have a day of reckoning Against everyone who is proud and lofty And against everyone who is lifted up, That he may be abased. Proverbs 16:5: Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; James 4:6: . . . . Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." And again, 1 Peter 5:51: . . . . and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.


What this tells me is when I’m angry and filled with a self-righteous sense of being wronged, I’m proud, full of my self and I will not hear God’s words of comfort and hope. My ears are full of my own (un)righteous anger and demand for justice (my way, not God’s) and vengeance. At the very time I need to hear from God, because I am proud and not humble ~ I CAN’T HEAR HIM.


I’m not going to give examples of how poorly I love in regard to each of these words and definitions. Rather, I’ll allow you to reflect and think on the incidents in your life that define how well or how poorly you love.


Love is patient

1) to be of a long spirit, not to lose heart

a) to persevere patiently and bravely in enduring misfortunes and troubles

b) to be patient in bearing the offenses and injuries of others

1) to be mild and slow in avenging

2) to be longsuffering, slow to anger, slow to punish


Love is kind

1) to show one's self mild, to be kind, use kindness


Love is not jealous

1) to burn with zeal

a) to be heated or to boil with envy, hatred, anger

1) in a good sense, to be zealous in the pursuit of good

b) to desire earnestly, pursue

1) to desire one earnestly, to strive after, busy one's self about him

2) to exert one's self for one (that he may not be torn from me)

3) to be the object of the zeal of others, to be zealously sought after

c) to envy


Love does not brag

1) to boast one's self

2) a self display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively


Love is not arrogant

1) to make natural, to cause a thing to pass into nature

2) to inflate, blow up, to cause to swell up

a) to puff up, make proud

b) to be puffed up, to bear one's self loftily, be proud


Love does not act unbecomingly

· improperly

· inappropriately

· incorrectly

· unsuitably


Love does not seek it's own

· want my own way (so to speak)


Love is not provoked

1) to make sharp, sharpen

a) to stimulate, spur on, urge

b) to irritate, provoke, arouse to anger

1) to scorn, despise

2) provoke, make angry

3) to exasperate, to burn with anger


Love does not take into account a wrong suffered

1) to reckon, count, compute, calculate, count over

a) to take into account, to make an account of

1) metaph. to pass to one's account, to impute

2) a thing is reckoned as or to be something, i.e. as availing for or equivalent to something, as having the like force and weight

b) to number among, reckon with

c) to reckon or account

2) to reckon inward, count up or weigh the reasons, to deliberate

3) by reckoning up all the reasons, to gather or infer

a) to consider, take into account, weigh, meditate on

b) to suppose, deem, judge

c) to determine, purpose, decide



Love does not rejoice

1) to rejoice, be glad

2) to rejoice exceedingly


. . . . in unrighteousness

1) injustice, of a judge

2) unrighteousness of heart and life

3) a deed violating law and justice, act of unrighteousness


Love bears all things

(See previous post)


Love believes all things

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in

a) of the thing believed

1) to credit, have confidence

b) in a moral or religious reference

1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul

2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith

3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith

2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity

a) to be intrusted with a thing


Love hopes all things

1) to hope

a) in a religious sense, to wait for salvation with joy and full confidence

2) hopefully to trust in


Love endures

1) to remain

a) to tarry behind

2) to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee

a) to preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ

b) to endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments


Meaning of all things

1) individually

a) each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything

2) collectively

a) some of all types


Well there you have it. This is what it means to love God’s way, a way which is pleasing to Him, to love others well regardless how we are treated, selflessly, giving with no thought to ourselves.

In the light of all this I wonder now at our notion of Tough Love? Is it a God-concept or man’s idea?

More blessings coming your way from my pen and God’s heart.

Journey Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment