"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Friday, March 11, 2011

That LOVE thing again ~ Part II

I just got back from Florida where I flew down last week to look after Mom. She ended up in the hospital with double pneumonia and when I heard, I knew she would not be able to look after herself when she got out.

So of course I love my Mom, but living with a cranky elderly person, cranky because she is unwell, weak and unable to look after her own basic needs. I know that would push a few of my buttons!!

Here's the thing . . . . she is used to being in control, so when she picks at what I'm doing, how will I respond? Will I just consider her stress, her feelings, her 'crankiness' or will I defend myself and let her know I'm trying my best to consider how she likes things done?

I will confess I did a bit of both! Especially when it comes to driving her car, she is very specific and she would not consider how it was for me to drive a car for which I am unfamiliar, (it's an automatic - lol) under the kind of scrutiny of a 'Mother' watching my every move, seeing every manhole cover or pothole before I can avoid them and being stressed out and tired from working right up until I leave, making all the plans and packing rush-rush! So for the first day I did defend myself and asked her to please consider that 'I'm trying'!

To give Mom every credit, after I said that she refrained from saying a word and graciously handed me the keys each time we went out. I know it was hard for her, she knew it was hard for me, and we got along just fine.

I think I can say I did OK this time. Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not seek it's own way, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, bears all things and endures all things. I did OK with Mom but can think of others I loved more poorly.

*Sigh* guess I'll go and confess my sin and ask for more grace (the power of Christ to do God's will) to start all over again tomorrow.

Blessings on your own journey of loving God's way1
Girl on a Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment