"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Saturday, February 26, 2011

How Poorly We Love

In the book 66 Love Letters, Isaiah, we read """ No matter what is happening to you, your worst problem is in you. And that problem is not how badly you feel, it is how poorly you love".

It just never made sense to me until about an hour ago.

A situation happened in my life that made me angry, so angry you may not have recognized me if you saw me. Certainly my daughter heard about it all as I vented my anger to her. When I hung up the phone, well, even before I hung up the phone I knew I needed to forgive the person who angered me so much. That is when God showed me I had to 'choose' to love and that choosing required an action because we know love is a verb, an action verb.

Here is what 1 Corinthians 13 says about love. I know you know what it says, but read it and think about the action which is involved in each of these instances.

1 Cor. 13:4: Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant
5: love does not act unbecomingly, it does not seek its own (not selfish (me)), is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
6: love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.
7: love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8: love never fails
Proverbs 10:12: Love covers all transgressions.
1 Peter 4:8: Love covers a multitude of sins.

So here I sit, realizing in this situation my biggest problem is how poorly I am loving. Now I have a choice to make. I have to take action. Will I wallow in my anger and steam and vent about it or repent of the anger, forgive the one who caused it and choose to love in spite of what happened. Help me Jesus!!

I think as well as having this posted on my desk at work, I need to print it off and post it in my room . . . . . . . .

Blessings to each of you as you try to love others as is pleasing to God.
Girl on a Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment