"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Monday, January 17, 2011

Scum vs Holiness

Of course this has something to do with the book 66 Love Letters. In fact it has everything to do with what I've been reading.

Very early on, the question was asked 'what does Holiness look like in this situation?' which is the question we are to ask ourselves when something comes up that causes us to 'want to' respond out of our old selfish (a.k.a. scum) nature. In asking this question, we are choosing to ask that age-old question, ~ what would Jesus do? For, of course, Jesus would respond in Holiness right?

It's one thing to say I want to choose a Holiness response as Jesus did, it's a whole 'nother thing to do it, especially when I want to do something and I know God is asking me not to in order to accomplish something else in the life of another whom He has caused my path to cross lately (I know, it sounds convoluted). God has a plan for this other person's life and that supersedes my desire to do my own thing. But, I have to admit, it bites!

This is now where my response is either a scum and totally selfish response, or is a Holiness response. And . . . . it doesn't end there.

I have chosen to set aside the thing I wanted in favor of Gods request, but I know God is watching to see how I will handle it. In the doing of it, will I begrudgingly act the self-sacrificing martyr to His Great Cause and let everyone know of my great disappointment OR will I go about my daily activities trusting God to work it all out and hope I can do this thing I desire another time.

Truth be told, He can always find another person to be involved in this person's life if I opt out. But it's my character which is at stake here and He's watching. He has given me this opportunity, now comes crunch time, how will I respond?

Let me bottom line it for you: Will I go about my daily life happy and contented or mopey because I didn't get my own way? Will I take this opportunity to grow in character, to be 'other' focused, to value the soul of another as more important than what I want or will I whine about it all?

Philippians 2:3 says: "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves".

As for understanding what God is doing . . . . Isaiah 55:9 says: "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." Although I don't know what He has in mind for this other individual, or me in the long run, I trust His plan is for the good of both of us. I also acknowledge it's a Grand Scheme of which I know only a small part.


So there you have it, my soul struggle for today. Funny thing . . . . since beginning to write all this I find the struggle has ended and I am at peace.

Blessings to you all as you struggle with your own character issues. It's not easy but it is good.
Girl on a Journey

PS: Should you have read this and now wonder what it is I wanted to do, PLEASE DON'T ASK!! It's now a thing of the past :)


No comments:

Post a Comment