"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Friday, November 26, 2010

Following, Trusting & Believing *sigh*

I've been reading a book called "66 Love Letters" by Larry Crabb and it is really challenging me, a lot. Every chapter I go back and re-read at least once and sometimes twice. I am discovering this book is re-writing the very wrong teaching I've been handed by many preachers and pastors. I'm finding my whole understanding about God, the 'big picture' of my small life and how it fits into the larger plan of all Eternity.

To write more of what this book is doing for me would be to write a whole 'nother book and since that is not the purpose of this blog, I will write the following snippet which gives just one small portion of what God is doing in me and for me. It's just a book, written by another human being, but as God speaks through it, that is when and how this heart is being changed.

I love it!

One thing I'm beginning to understand is, we will not often understand why God requires of us what He does, or what He is trying to accomplish except in the larger picture of His plan.

Blind obedience is only possible because we trust His character. So, even if it makes no sense, even if it's very painful for us and even though it looks totally ridiculous by our own sense of what is right and wrong, or what makes sense to us as humans, by trusting His character, by trusting His love for us, by trusting and believing, sometimes against all odds, that He is for us and not against us, we can say, "never-the-less, not my will but Yours O God" and follow along the path He is showing us, just like a little lamb.

I know this goes against the grain of all the cultural norms of today, but really when you come right down to it, how has doing things 'my' way worked for me, or how is it working for me right now??

It isn't! It hasn't and I have no confidence that it actually ever will!

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of trying my best only to find it very often a sti
nking failure. Thus, my determination is to ask God, in every situation I don't understand, in every situation where I've been hurt, abandoned, betrayed or simply let down by others, and in every situation where I want to go one way and He's showing me another less desirable way, to ask Him, "what does holiness look like in this situation?", "how am I to respond?" then with as much trust as I can muster, I will follow Jesus example and declare, "Not my will but Yours dear Father" and behave, or respond, as is right and as holiness dictates.

Even though it hurts to follow, in this will I trust also . . . that he will meet my need to be comforted and give me that peace that by-passes all understanding.

Now, this opens up another point . . . . if I am to trust God's character and believe He is for me, that leads me to wonder, just what are the characteristics of God? That is a journey of discovery each of us must take, but perhaps I'll write about that trip in another blog . . . .

Blessings to you as you follow the Journey He has for you
Journey Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment