"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds . . ." Wm Shakespeare

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Joy of having Girlfriends


Lately I've been pondering the rich relationships that are uniquely forged between girls.

I've heard about 'girlfriend power' and slowly I'm beginning to understand the value of having such relationships. They are completely different than being friends with men; honestly the two can hardly be compared! Now I totally acknowledge the need for healthy male friendships and they have a purpose and a place in our lives. When you find one of value, your life is truly enriched. But, it's the depth and richness of my girlfriends that keeps me going when all else fails and they play a role no man can play.

I just got off the phone with a very lovely and very dear friend of mine. It was both refreshing and deeply satisfying. We consider ourselves to be 'like-minded' and kindred souls, so it makes no difference at all that she is in fact 34 years younger than me. The depth of sharing we enjoy comes from the heart, not from age or experience.

The thing I've begun to appreciate about such friends is . . . it really doesn't make any difference the age gap as the friendships transcend the superficiality of age and gets down to the nitty-gritty of what real life and real community with others is all about.

How rich am I to have such a young friend who keeps me young and who is as enthusiastic about life as I am.

How rich am I to have friends around my age who 'get' who I am.

How rich am I to have friends who share similar life experiences, and they of an assortment of ages. We understand each other as no one else can.

How rich am I to have friends who are older and more experienced and can teach me from their vast experiences!


Over the past 10 years I've discovered the depths a friendship can go to and yet, of the handful of women I count as friends, one is in her early 20's, the other just into her 40's and only a couple in their 50's like me. Recently I've been blessed by being reunited with a girlfriend who is in her 60's. It truly is from the heart that such connections are made and the only thing I am missing are women friends in their 70's, 80's or beyond!!


Only one other thing that adds to this mix of friendships is building friendships with my daughters and granddaughters, but all of my friendships are an on-going and ever-involving journey.

I hope your journey is blessed with the loveliest of all friendships, GIRLFRIENDS!
Girl on a Journey of . . . . friendships

No comments:

Post a Comment